Coleson Brink Posted April 16, 2013 by The Dragon's Last Ride


044 (2)

   In the spring of 2009, we noticed Coleson looked like he was limping when he ran around the bases in t-ball.  We didn’t think much of it since he wasn’t complaining of pain and when we asked him if his leg hurt, he said no.  In late July he started complaining at night that his left leg hurt so we would put a heating pad on it and it would be fine.  He seemed perfectly healthy otherwise so we assumed it was growing pains.

In August we brought him to the on-call pediatrician because he was still complaining of pain.  They took an x-ray of his left leg and hip and also did lab work, all of which came back normal.  Coleson stopped complaining of pain but his limp continued to get worse, so in September we brought him back to his pediatrician who ordered an x-ray of his hips.  This x-ray showed a thickening of a bone in his pelvis, we were told it was possibly a healing fracture or “something else you don’t want in your bone”.  We went in the following Tuesday morning for an MRI.  By the time Coleson and I got home from that appointment his pediatrician had already called Ryan who was home for lunch and told him Coleson had a malignant tumor in his pelvis.  He sent us right to Seattle Children’s Hospital, we got there around 5:00 and met with several oncologists who all thought the tumor was Ewings Sarcoma, which we had never even heard of.

043 (2)
We went home for the night and came back the next day for a biopsy and several other tests including a chest CT, bone scan and PET scan.  The bone scan came back clear but the chest CT showed multiple spots in both lungs.  The biopsy results confirmed the tumor was Ewings Sarcoma, a rare childhood cancer, located in his left pelvis bone and the surrounding tissue.  A lung biopsy confirmed the spots in his lungs were also Ewings Sarcoma, because the cancer had metastasized to his lungs, the prognosis wasn’t as good as if it were contained to his pelvis.

Camp Side-By-Side Aug 2010

Coleson endured nine months of chemo, 14 rounds in all, at Seattle Children’s Hospital.  He also had 31 doses of radiation to his pelvis and 10 doses of radiation to his lungs at The UW Medical Center.  Ryan’s sister and husband generously gave us the use of their home in Ballard for those nine months.  Ryan and I took turns living in Seattle with Coleson as he had to be within an hour of the hospital.  We had two younger kids also who spent a good deal of time with their grandparents back home in Lynden.079We relied heavily on our faith in God and the help of family and friends to get us through this trial in our lives.  On June 25, 2010, Coleson was declared in remission! We continue to go to Children’s every six months for scans and hope and pray his cancer will never return!”



  • Heather TenKley April 16, 2013 at 2:57 pm

    Wow you’ve come a long way Coleson, I continue to pray for your health. I know through your testimony you will touch many lives.
    God Bless


  • Karen St. Martin April 17, 2013 at 9:34 am

    Our Nicole, just like Colson was a baseball player and I brushed her pain off as “growing pains”. Thanks for sharing his story and God bless him for being “cancer free”. All these children have touched so many lives.


  • Elaine Wassink April 18, 2013 at 2:55 pm

    So full of thanks and praise to our Great God for bringing the help and healing Coleson needed. Go on living in faith, hope, and love in your wonderful families, and in the Family of God.


Leave a Comment Cancel Reply To Comment